Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

the importance of being... PaTiEnT

I love photographing children.  A child's world is magically dreamy and ever-changing.  Having the opportunity to shoot with a child is continually a different experience, but it is always special to be the documentarian of that magical dreamy world even if for just an hour or two.

This past weekend I had the pleasure of shooting Miss Zoey, a soon-to-be four year old with a vibrant spirit and an endearing heart.  Zoey's mom is a close friend of mine and warned me that her little fire-cracker was especially difficult to photograph.  Her previous photographer, a very  experienced one at that, said she was the most challenging he had ever worked with.  She wished me luck.

In an attempt to create the least distracting, yet interesting environment as possible, I chose a quiet street in Laurelhurst with a lot of flowers, rocks, and bugs.  I thought it would provide a lovely backdrop, but also keep Miss Z's attention focused.  In addition, I arranged to pick Zoey up for our session and give her mom a little break.  Parents are great for the obvious reasons, but generally children are more distracted in front of the camera if a parent is nearby.

I do have to say that even with all these preparations, Miss Zoey did give me a run for my money (or so to speak).  She was a tough cookie and toward the beginning I actually wondered if I would snap anything good, but it was exactly what I needed to GROW.  I had to become especially creative to get her to open up, to trust me, and to laugh (in the pursuit of real smiles).

So toward the beginning, when she wouldn't look directly at my camera I shot indirectly.  I LOVE these kinds of shots anyway and the two below are actually favorites of mine for the entire shoot.
When she did start smiling, I got her "camera" smiles.  You know the fake sort that all kids do at one time or another.  This is the "can-we-get-this-over-with?" smile.
As lovely as it is, I wanted the real thing.  So I brought out the big guns... a bouncy ball my daughter left in our car.  Bouncy balls are like bottled smiles just waiting to be had. =)  At first I caught a sideways laugh...
But then, it was like magic!
...childhood joy captured on digital media (you know, instead of film).

This last one I am including because I love it, though it was taken prior to the breakthrough. =)  Thanks Zoey dear, it was a real treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment